I´m thinking about opening a jewelry store in Sweden and need a great name. I´ve browsed the web and found a bunch of things to consider when picking a name.
Here are some of the ideas I´ve found useful.
- Get an “umbrella” name. If you are going to sell jewelry, don´t have a name with jewelry in it. What if you want to start selling scarves too? (That means my current name sucks :)) The name should still work if you want to expand.
- Search the web to see if the company name is free as a domain address.
- The name doesn´t have to have a meaning. You can always fill it with meaning with an underline, that you can drop when your name is established. That means nonsense names are OK.
- Short names, and names with hard sounds are remembered more easily. Google, Kodak, Plurk are great examples.
- Make sure your company name is easy to spell.
- Brainstorm to find your name. Start with what you want your name to be associated with. Mix letters and give the words new endings like –ax, -ex, -or, -er, -ac, -oc.
Still can´t find a name? Try Breadline Design Naming Machine! :)